In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Rich Cohen. Rich is the New York Times-bestselling author of several books of Tough Jews, Monsters, Sweet and Low. He is the co-creator of the HBO series Vinyl, and a contributing editor at Rolling Stone. Rich has a new book called – The Adventures of Herbie Cohen: World’s Greatest Negotiator.
Herbie Cohen is known for many things like – being the World’s Greatest Negotiator, dealmaker, risk-taker, adviser to presidents and corporations, hostage and arms negotiator, lesson giver and justice seeker, author of the how-to business classic You Can Negotiate Anything, and of course, Rich Cohen’s father. In this episode, I talk with Rich Cohen about his latest book that honors his dad and the biggest lessons he’s shared with him throughout his life – The Adventures of Herbie Cohen: World’s Greatest Negotiator.
Questions I ask Rich Cohen:
- [1:35] Your father was probably best known as the author of ‘You Can Negotiate Anything’. Would you say that’s why you’re a writer?
- [2:19] You’ve written about a lot of topics – why write about this topic now?
- [3:17] Some of the stories in the book were from the ’50s and ’60s – how did you collect these stories in such detail?
- [4:33] So were you a Dodgers fan then?
- [5:32] I’m going to go down a rabbit hole here – what’s your favorite baseball book?
- [6:30] Have you written for TV at all?
- [7:55] So who were some of his contemporaries in that space?
- [9:40] My audience is primarily business owners and marketers. So what’s the business application of this book in your mind?
- [12:01] If somebody were to come to you and ask you to list out five or six key negotiation lessons, what would those be?
- [15:08] Would you say there is one or two of your favorite stories you’ve told them a hundred times and people still want to come back to them?
- [18:11] You’ve mentioned Larry King a number of times, did he go to school with your dad?
- [21:02] Where can people connect with you and get a copy of your book?
More About Rich Cohen:
Take The Marketing Assessment:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals who seek the best education and inspiration on how to grow a business.
Did you know there’s an automated marketing platform that’s 100% designed for your online business? It’s called Drip, and it’s got all the data insights, segmentation savvy, and email and SMS marketing tools you need to connect with customers on a human level, make boatloads of sales, and grow with gusto. Try Drip free for 14 days (no credit card required), and start turning emails into earnings and SMS sends into cha-chings.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn – Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND