In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Cameron Herold. Cameron is the founder of the COO Alliance, the World’s Leading Network for Seconds in Command. He’s the host of the Second in Command: The Chief Behind the Chief podcast, where he interviews COOs and other seconds to share their insights with his listeners. He’s also the author of 5 books, a top-rated international speaker, and has spoken on all 7 continents.
The Chief Operating Officer is the second in command to the CEO – they’re the go-to person that should be running the business. In this episode, the founder of COO Alliance, Cameron Herald, talks about what exactly the role of a COO looks like, how that role shifts and changes from organization to organization, and how having a COO can accelerate the growth of your organization.
Questions I ask Cameron Herold:
- [2:27] Are there some things in those early days of figuring operations out that really stuck with you?
- [3:38] How would you define the job title COO?
- [5:02] How does the COO or second in command orient themselves in larger organizations?
- [6:55] How would you describe the second in command in a smaller, more nimble organization that doesn’t have that giant C-suite?
- [8:20] What does an organization that decides that they need a COO need to be thinking about?
- [10:56] Have you been faced with a scenario where people have come to you with the idea that they have outgrown their CEO?
- [12:07] Is it possible to level up a COO they feel that they’ve outgrown?
- [13:34] Is it simply a matter of finding somebody else who has been there in that role before or is it a different skillset or personality entirely?
- [14:38] How much of the job is directing, forming, creating, or nurturing culture?
- [15:35] For someone who is looking for a COO role or looking to replace someone, what do you see are some common mistakes that crop up?
- [17:01] Are you saying that a COO should be looking for somebody that’s going to shore up where the CEO has weaknesses?
- [18:06] Tell me a little bit about COO Alliance and what somebody would expect if they came to look at that.
- [19:12] Do you feel like you’re giving some modern shape to the COO role in general?
- [20:11] Tell us a little bit about the ways that people can engage with your organization.
- [21:18] Where can people learn more?
More About Cameron Herold:
Take The Marketing Assessment:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
HubSpot Podcast Network is the audio destination for business professionals who seek the best education and inspiration on how to grow a business.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn – Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND