In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Pamela Slim. Pam is an author, community builder, consultant, and former corporate director of training and development at Barclays Global Investors. Pam is best known for her book Escape from Cubicle Nation, and she recently wrote a new book called – The Widest Net: Unlock Untapped Markets and Discover New Customers Right in Front of You – launching in November 2021.
Many businesses and marketers create an ideal consumer profile – aiming all their sales and marketing efforts towards this single type of person. As a result, they end up missing out on endless opportunities to sell their services or products.
In this episode, I sat down with author and community builder, Pamela Slim, to discuss key concepts from her new book – The Widest Net. We dive into how to build strong relationships, expand into new markets, and find new customers in untapped places.
Questions I ask Pamela Slim:
- [1:42] As we’re recording this, it’s Indigenous People’s Day – what does this day look like in your household?
- [3:16] Your book The Widest Net seems to go against a little bit of conventional wisdom. These days there’s a lot of conventional wisdom around having to niche down or go narrower – tell me why that’s wrong or how The Widest Net fits into that thinking.
- [5:04] Would you say this book is a good fit for people who are just getting ready to start their business and if so, why?
- [7:25] How do you get people to really connect with this idea of mission?
- [14:37] A lot of marketers think every 35 year old is the same – meaning they have the same problems, the same challenges, and should receive the same messaging. What’s your take on narrowing your focus to this perfect client or persona?
- [16:33] Can you talk about the concept of an ‘offer’ and why you introduced it as a topic in your book early on?
- [19:28] Relationship building or connecting has always been a deep part of your DNA – can you talk about how that element shows up in your book?
- [23:10] Can you talk a little bit about the unique model that you’ve developed?
- [25:01] Tell people about where they can find your superclass, your book, and more about the work you’re doing.
More About Pamela Slim:
More About The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network:
Like this show? Click on over and give us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
7 Steps to Scale Your Consulting Practice Without Adding Overhead
The Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network has helped me to grow my business by over 40% in the last 12 months. ~ Michael Quinn – Michael Quinn Agency, Fargo, ND