Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
In the dynamic landscape of the digital era, marketing our brands requires innovative approaches that break away from traditional advertising norms. One such game-changing strategy I’ve adopted is harnessing the power of user-generated content (UGC) to elevate the digital brand presence of clients.
But what makes UGC so effective for branding? I’ll let the numbers speak for themselves! 86% of millennials say that UGC is a good indicator of the quality of a brand, and 93% of consumers find UGC helpful while making a purchasing decision.
In this article, I’ll share the benefits of user-generated content for digital branding and reveal the strategies to acquire and use such content, along with successful examples. Let’s begin!
The unique benefits of user-generated content
Let’s start by understanding what fuels the power of user-generated content for digital branding. Here are the main benefits of using user-generated content for digital branding:
- Boosts customer trust. UGC enhances customer trust by showcasing genuine experiences from satisfied users. When real users appreciate your offering, it immediately increases your credibility and relatability. You would naturally promote your own offerings, but users demonstrating and explaining the benefits have a way stronger impact on your audience.
- Improves understanding and relatability. UGC outshines conventional advertising with its clarity and relatability. Presenting real people using and appreciating your product or service helps new customers relate and understand how they can benefit from the product. This makes your brand stand out and convince prospective customers.
- Budget-friendly yet powerful. One striking advantage of going with UGC is its budget-friendly nature. By harnessing the creative energies of customers, you can get around the need for crafting original content, saving precious time and resources.
- Diverse perspectives. UGC allows brands to reveal the multifaceted benefits of their offerings as every customer uses a product or service differently. The diverse mix of content naturally appeals to a larger audience.
Related: How To Grow Your Instagram Followers with User-Generated Content
10 ways to make the most of UGC for digital branding
Are you ready to start using user-generated content for digital branding? Here are some effective strategies to acquire and use UGC for elevating your brand:
- Seek reviews. Inviting customers to share their thoughts through reviews and testimonials can generate valuable UGC. These reviews can be incorporated into your brand’s digital narrative, enhancing its credibility and appeal.
- Start a contest. Spark customer creativity by hosting contests that reward UGC contributions. Whether on social media or a brand’s website, these contests incentivize users to share their stories and experiences.
- Invent a hashtag. Crafting a unique branded hashtag inspires customers to chronicle their experiences on social media. This curated collection of UGC becomes a goldmine for brand exploration and promotion.
- Encourage video content. Video content has a higher engagement and conversion rate, making it an ideal medium for UGC. In fact, 61% of customers say they’ve been convinced to buy a product or service by watching the brand’s video. So, you should encourage your customers to share their experiences through videos like demonstrations or testimonials.
- Create a UGC hub. Develop a dedicated platform or section on your website where users can browse, share, and engage with user-generated content. This hub will serve as a source of inspiration for potential customers and encourage existing customers to contribute their own content.
- Collaborate with your audience. Engage with your audience by inviting them to help develop new products, services, or campaigns. This collaborative approach can generate UGC that reflects the needs and desires of your target audience, making your brand more appealing to potential customers.
- Leverage influencer collaborations. Partnering with popular and trusted influencers who share your target audience can help generate UGC that resonates with your brand’s message. Influencers can create content that showcases your product or service, which can then be shared across your digital channels to drive engagement quickly.
- Utilize customer testimonials. Integrate customer testimonials into your digital branding strategy. Showcasing authentic customer experiences will build trust and credibility with potential customers, making them likely to choose your brand.
- Showcase UGC masterpieces. By featuring UGC on social media channels, you can celebrate your customers’ experiences and achievements. This spotlight fosters a sense of community and motivates more users to create and share content that you can proudly display!
- Measure and optimize. Remember to track the performance of your UGC campaigns by analyzing metrics such as engagement, reach, and conversions. Use this data to refine your strategies and optimize your efforts to acquire and utilize user-generated content for digital branding.
Related: If You’re Not Using This Type of Content in Your Marketing, You’re Missing Out
Three brands that have successfully harnessed the potential of user-generated content
Here are some companies that have aced digital branding using user-generated content to help you get started:
Pioneering the UGC movement, GoPro has woven its brand identity around customer content. Through the #GoPro hashtag, customers share their adrenaline-fueled adventures, which the company proudly displays on its social media channels and website, illustrating the products’ boundless potential. Moreover, GoPro offers monetary awards for the best user-generated content to encourage more submissions.
Starbucks’s White Cup Contest encouraged customers to unleash their creativity by designing their own artwork on Starbucks’ iconic white cups. Participants were then asked to submit their cup designs on social media using the hashtag #WhiteCupContest. The winning design was featured as a limited edition reusable cup available for purchase in Starbucks stores.
The iconic ‘Share a Coke’ campaign exemplifies UGC’s transformative power in digital branding. Coca-Cola encouraged customers to create and share images with personalized Coke bottles, leading to a vibrant community of people showcasing their creations across social media and Coca-Cola’s website.
Embracing user-generated content in digital branding has proven to be a cost-effective and engaging way to elevate my clients’ brands. The examples of brands that have successfully harnessed UGC demonstrate the immense potential of this approach when executed thoughtfully, and you could soon be one of them if you play your cards right!
By implementing the strategies I’ve shared or taking the support of a branding agency, you can inspire your customers to create UGC and use it to showcase your brand’s authority and quality of offerings. So, why not dive into the world of UGC now and experience the transformative results for yourself? All the best!
Comments are Closed